A. National Mission on Medicinal Plants (2010-11) :
• Cultivation of MAPs in 534 ha land
• 17 species are prioritized for cultivation and subsidy provided to cultivators
• 17 model and 48 small nurseries established for providing quality planting material
• 25 lac seedlings produced
• 14 trainings of farmers held
B. Chief Minister Medicinal Plant Development Program (2101-2015)
• To encourage cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants
• Clusters to be identified at Development Block level based on the geographical situation and trade potential
• To develop nurseries at appropriate places for providing quality planting material
• To identify suitable places for strengthening post harvesting technique, collection, storage, processing and distillation plants.
• To strengthen marketing of MAPs
• 50,000 farmers to be linked with MAP cultivation
• In this scheme 318 clusters are to be developed for cultivation of MAPs in 6500 hectare land in 5 years.
• To increase the area o MAP cultivation to 6,500 ha
• To increase the MAP sector trade to a tune of 1000 crores
C. Amla Mission (2011-12) :
• Awareness campaign/ program on importance of Amla in the state
• Policy initiatives on conservation and sustainable use of amla from wild
• Large scale commercial cultivation of good varieties through cluster approach
• To improve the livelihood of cultivators through strengthening of post harvesting, processing and marketing initiatives
D. Rajya Krishi Vikas Yojna (2009 onward):
• To strengthen the infrastructure to cultivate medicinal and aromatic plants in the hill district of Chamoli and Pithoragarh in approx.550 ha of land.
E. Tribal Sub Plan
To improve livelihood of Bhotia tribe in the districts of Chamoli and Pithoragarh through cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants.
F. Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)-(2009)
• Setting up of infrastructure for chemical analysis of medicinal and aromatic plants
G. Central sector scheme for conservation and sustainable use of medicinal plants
• The board is reviews proposal for R&D, training and promotional activities for funding from NMPB
GoI, UNDP-GEF Project “Mainstreaming conservation and sustainable use of medicinal plant diversity in three Indian states”-2008-2012
Globally Significant Medicinal Plants (GSMPs):
• 15 flagship GSMPs identified for conservation
Medicinal Plants Conservation Areas (MPCAs):
• Establishment of 07 MPCAs in different physiographic zones
• In-situ conservation of flagship Globally Significant Medicinal Plants in these MPCAs
• Management of these MPCA by a Local Management Group comprising of forest staff and community.
Development of sustainable harvest protocol for collection of MAPs:
• Identification of two sites and five species for sustainable collection
• Creation of Task Team comprising of local community and field level forest staff for management of these sites.
Capacity building / Training of frontline forest staff and communities on:
• Conservation of MAPs, their sustainable use and management.
• Village Botanist program initiated
• Documentation of Community Knowledge on health and establishment of Home Herbal Gardens.
The SMPB is also undertaking few policy level studies in the MAP sector:
• To prepare State medicinal plant conservation and sustainable use strategies.
• To revise state forest policies that support conservation and sustainable use of MAPs.
• To revise state level JFM Orders/ Van Panchayat Rules and Guidelines that integrate MAP conservation and sustainable use objectives within overall JFM programs and practices.
• To develop state level legal mechanisms to protect traditional knowledge on harvesting, cultivation and use of MAPs.
• To identify MAPs suitable for cultivation and inclusion of afforestation and income generating programmes of the NAEB and MoRD at the state and SFDs and State Rural Development Boards for each of the state.
• To develop comprehensive baseline and monitoring & evaluation system for monitoring the status of medicinal plant resources in state.
Note : Click for List of GSMPs and Flagship *GSMPs of Uttarakhand